I regularly make scones for weekend breakfasts, and I'm constantly on the look out for better recipes. This is a really nice one - it contains an egg, which makes it much less crumbly than the scones I usually bake. Crumbs are good in a scone, of course, but not to the point where you can't spread a topping. These were delicious with cream cheese and fresh raspberries, but they were also great with a slice of aged cheddar and some blood orange marmalade. Yum!
Less crumbly Scones
(printable recipe)
makes about 10
250 g flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
60 g butter - cold!
1 egg
120 ml buttermilk (or if you're in Sweden, lätt filmjölk will work well.)
Mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a bowl. Add the butter in small dice, and mix until it's well distributed into the flour mixture. I used my Kitchen-Aid, but a food processor or your hands will work out as well.
Beat the egg with the buttermilk in a separate bowl and add to the flour. Mix into a soft dough, but don't overknead it. Flatten to a 2 cm thick rectangle, and cut out scones with a cookie cutter or a glass if you don't happen to have a round cutter.
Bake at 175°C for about 15-18 minutes.
Recipe in Swedish:
Smulfria scones